Since 1882 First Evangelical Free Church (lovingly known as "First Free") has been part of the fabric of a community known for hard work, solid values and family tradition. As a church – with our community – we have weathered challenging times, and enjoyed periods of growth.
McKeesport was still a borough when our church was formed in 1882 by Swedish immigrants. As the church grew, the congregation built a new building in 1907. Most services were still held in Swedish until 1946, when all services were held in English and the church was renamed The First Evangelical Free Church of McKeesport ("First Free," for short).
First Free moved to our present location in 1967. For 29 years the church grew under the ministry of Pastor Jack Kelly, who retired in 2008. Additions in 1985 and 1996 added our 800-seat auditorium, a full-size gym, offices, classrooms, and multi-purposes large group meeting rooms.
From 2012 through 2020, Pastor Kirk Albrecht served as our Lead Pastor, guiding First Free into a period of stability and growth. Today, he serves alongside our new Lead Pastor, Kevin Labby.
Into the future, as in the past, we desire to grow with and serve White Oak, McKeesport, and their surrounding communities. Come, grow with us!